- Building & Zoning / Community Service
- Department Overview
The Building and Zoning Department is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the International Building Codes and the building, planning, and zoning codes of the City of Troy.
The department consists of the building and zoning administrator, one building inspector, and one community service officer.
The department is responsible for:
- Reviewing building permit applications and issuing permits for all new construction and the alteration of existing structures
- Scheduling and performing inspections to assure that construction is in compliance with the building codes
- Inspecting rental property and issuing occupancy permits to ensure compliance with the minimum level of housing standards contained in the International Property Maintenance Code
- Administering the Subdivision and Zoning Codes; reviewing residential and commercial development plans; and providing information on annexations, development, and zoning matters
- Providing information on starting a new business in the city and applicable zoning issues; registering and inspecting new businesses; and issuing sign permits and liquor licenses
- Investigating property maintenance and ordinance violation complaints and animal control issues
- Working closely with the Planning Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals, and city engineer to assist with the orderly planning of the city
- The Planning Commission acts as a recommending body to the City Council on planning and zoning matters
- The Zoning Board of Appeals reviews and rules upon variances to the Zoning Code
- The city engineer reviews development plans and monitors improvements so there is conformance to the city's Subdivision Code