- Police Department
All Completed applications can be emailed to Michelle Schneider at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lateral Hire Full-Time Police Officers / Full-Time Police Officers
Applicants for appointment to the position of probationary or lateral Police Officer must meet the following minimum qualifications and requirements at the time of application:
- Must be a United States citizen
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must have an educational level of at minimum of: (Probationary Police Officers Only)
- An Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice (or related field) from an accredited program, or be actively enrolled and currently seeking an Associate’s Degree in Law Enforcement, or Criminal Justice from an accredited junior or community college with all course and degree requirements completed before the expiration of the probationary period.
- a Bachelor’s Degree in any field from an accredited program, or be actively enrolled and currently seeking a Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university and the degree will be completed prior to the expiration of the probationary period.
- have graduated from high school and be currently certified as having successfully completed the Minimum Standards Basic Law Enforcement Training Course, as provided for in the Illinois Police Training Act, or who may otherwise qualify for such a certificate through an equivalent certification in another state or jurisdiction, or
- 24 months of honorable active-duty service in the United States Armed Forces, or
- 180 days of active-duty service in the United States Armed Forces in combat duty (65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-6)
- (LATERAL APPLICANT ONLY) Must be certified as having successfully completed the Minimum Standards Basic Law Enforcement Training Course
- (LATERAL APPLICANT ONLY) Must be or have been a full-time sworn officer for a minimum of two (2) years in any municipal, county, university, or State law enforcement agency, provided they are or can be certified by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board (ILETSB), at the time of initial hire.
- Applicant must agree to comply with all requirements of the position and have the ability to pass all examination and training requirements.
- Must have the ability to furnish upon request a copy of the following: a resume; professional license; training certifications; documents confirming work experience; a birth certificate; high school diploma or GED certificate; transcripts of higher education; naval or military service board and discharge papers (DD-214); employee evaluations; and any other employment related material as requested or required.
- Each phase of the process is pass / fail and required to proceed to the next.
- Examination with the Board of Police Commission
- Character and background investigation and credit check
- Post-offer examinations including, but not limited to: psychological evaluation; medical examination; vision screening; drug screening; and polygraph.
- All appointments are subject to a probationary period of eighteen (18) months.
An initial eligibility list will be created from qualified applicants that submit the required application materials. Placement on any eligibility list shall be based upon the relative excellence of the applicants.
In the event that pre-screening identifies applicants who have certain knowledge, skills and abilities that make those applicants more desirable for the position sought to be filled, the City of Troy Police Commission may interview those applicants only for consideration.
Credible Service Time:
Credible service time with regard to the police pension system is controlled by law, specifically but not limited to the portability clause of Article 3 of the Illinois Pension Code, and requires the candidate to pay the “true cost” for the transfer of service time, which is actuarially determined, into the pension system.
Police Officers must reside within 30 miles (straight line) from the city limits after completion of the 18 month probationary period.
Starting base Salaries, and benefits:
Lateral Officer $73,288.80 (80 hours of vacation, and 80 hours of sick time)
Probationary Patrol Officer $71,089.80 (80 hours of vacation, and 80 hours of sick time after 1 year of service).
(The above listed salaries does not include the 11 paid holidays).
The Troy Police Department has many special assignment divisions such as a K9 program, motorcycle officers, School Resource Officers, investigations, and an undercover narcotics officer. Troy PD is a member of the ILEAS Special Response Team and Mobile Field Force, Major Case Squad, Child Death Investigations Task Force and Secret Service Southern IL Financial and Cyber Crimes Task Force.
Applications are available at the Troy Police Department (http://troyil.us/310/Employment) and must be completed, postmarked or returned no later than 4:00 PM on April 01st, 2023 -or-completed applications can be emailed to email@example.com. Applications postmarked after April 01st, 2023 will not be considered. EOE